Course: Principles of Human Nutrition
Principles of Human Nutrition
Originally Offered :
Principles of Human Nutrition (222.641) provides an integrated overview of the physiological requirements and functions of protein, energy, and the major vitamins and minerals that are determinants of health and diseases in human populations. Topics include the following:
- Dietary sources, intake levels, physiological role, and requirement of major nutrients.
- The biological determinants of nutrient requirements and the assessment of nutrient status in individuals and populations.
- The role of nutrition in growth and health through the life cycle.
- The rationale for the development of dietary guidelines and of nutrition policies in different countries.
- The role of diet in the development of chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, etc.