Course: Confronting the Burden of Injuries
Objective: To develop skills necessary for defining an injury problem, choosing interventions to address the problem, and convincing high-level decision makers to adopt your chosen interventions.
This assignment will consist of three parts:
- Part 1: Define the injury problem of your choice in the geographical area of your choice.
- Part 2: Evaluate a paper by one of your classmates.
- Part 3: Propose a particular intervention to address the injury problem defined in Part 1 and develop your arguments to convince high-level officials in your chosen geographical setting of the need for and advantages of implementing it.
Specific requirements for each of the three parts of the assignment are given in further detail below.
» Instructions for Part 1
Define the injury problem of your choice in the geographical area of your choice.
Your task: Produce a written document defining the injury problem and setting. Your paper should be a maximum of three pages in length (double-spaced, minimum 12-point font, one-inch margins.) One table and one figure are allowed.
Your injury problem definition should include the following:
- The injury of interest to you (inclusion criteria, including injury coding criteria)
- The geographic area of interest to you
- Summary of statistics conveying the impact of this injury in terms of mortality, morbidity, disability, and costs in your chosen geographic area
- Information about the number of events and the type of exposure
- Additional data sources you will/could explore to find more information on mortality, morbidity, disability, costs, and exposure, including their respective inclusion criteria, injury data coding mechanisms, and time lag
- Data availability, ownership, and contact information
Please note that "no data available" may be a valid answer, provided enough evidence is given showing that you searched in the right places!
» Instructions for Part 2
Evaluate a paper prepared by one of your classmates.
Your task: After you have submitted your three-page paper, thereby completing Part 1, a paper prepared by one of your classmates will be assigned by us for you to evaluate. All evaluations will be anonymous to the evaluator. To facilitate your review, the criteria to evaluate the paper have been given an open format. Please note that the main aim of this peer review is to assist each other improve the quality of our presentations.
Your evaluation should include the following:
- Most significant point made in the paper
- Most significant gap
» Instructions Part 3
Propose a particular intervention to address the injury problem defined in Part 1 and develop your arguments to convince high-level officials in your chosen geographical setting of the need for and advantages of implementing it.
Your task: Prepare a poster presentation for the high-level officials in your geographical area. In the poster, present your arguments in support of your proposed intervention designed to address the injury problem you defined in Part 1.
Your poster should include 6 sections:
- Burden of the injury problem in the chosen region
- Determinants/risk factors Native solutions/interventions
- Your choice of intervention
- Rationale for your choice of intervention
- Expected outcomes or challenges
It is particularly important that you demonstrate that you have evaluated options available for interventions and that you have a rational basis for your choice of intervention. In defending your choice of intervention, it is important that you discuss the efficacy, effectiveness, and efficiency of the intervention as well as any other attributes that you consider relevant. Please be concise and self-explanatory.
We strongly discourage you from proposing the development of a surveillance system as your intervention.