Course: Public Health Practice 101
Public Health Practice 101
A series of presentations developed to introduce health department employees to the basic terms and concepts that they are likely to encounter in the field.
By the end of these modules, the learner will:
- Be familiar with basic concepts of public health practice
- Understand 4 ways to describe and define public health
- Describe the Public Health System at multiple levels
- Recite the 3 Core Functions of Public Health
- Recognize the 10 Essential Services
- Be aware of the 13 Core Competencies of Public Health
- Recognize the variety of public health careers
- Identify their own role in public health
Rachel T. Abraham, MD, MPH, from the West Virginia University Office of Public Health Practice contributed to the development of these materials.